Tuesday, October 27, 2009

When it rains, it pours!

I'm imagining looking back at this years later and saying 'it wasn't that bad!' or 'oh, what crazy times!' but tonight those weren't exactly my choice of words. No, what you may have heard would be very close to what a sailor would shout out!!!
Why, you ask? Well let's start off with the fact that Mason woke up Sunday night with horrible ear aches. We actually thought he was making a full recovery from being sick the week before but when I took him in yesterday to the doctor she said he had severe ear infections in both ears. Usually I catch these before they have ever reached 'severe' but this hit Mason fast! They put him on antibiotics and sent us home. That afternoon he did his best to sleep it off but whimpered the whole time from the pain. It broke my heart! We made him as comfortable as possible by putting his little Elmo couch in between us IN our bed so we could be right there in case he woke up with more pain. He actually slept the whole night so we thought it was on it's way to getting better. Roth left this morning at 5:30am to catch a flight to NY for a conference. When the kids and I came downstairs for breakfast that's when I noticed blood in Mason's ear. His poor little eardrum had ruptured! Because he's already on antibiotics there's not much we can do but hope it heals. While the pain seemed to lessen throughout the day, this evening his left ear started to build with pressure. Then, as we're finishing up dinner, our entire house is filled with the sound of our smoke detectors going off. No, it wasn't the battery! I put in new battery after new battery and it was still howling back at me. Poor Mason was huddled in the bathroom (the only place with no alarm) and covering his ears so the piercing beeps wouldn't hurt his tender ears. Azlyn was competing with the tones of the aweful siren and I'm running around trying to figure out which one is making the entire system go off. I finally pulled out the detector in our computer room realizing it's not the battery but the unit itself. I put Azlyn to sleep in her freshly washed sheets, gave Mason his meds so that he can hopefully sleep well tonight, called Roth so Mason and I could say 'goodnight' and now off to bed I go.
What new adventures will we experience tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment